Kayaking can be a peaceful and leisurely activity on a lake, or it can be high intensity as you zip down river rapids. Kayaking doesn’t necessarily have to be an activity that is strictly enjoyed by adrenaline junkies. This is a great family activity that can increase appreciation for the great outdoors!
· Paddling will increase your heartrate and lead to improved heart health
· Paddling through the water will exercise almost every muscle in the upper body
· When balancing in a kayak the lower and upper abdominals are engaged which aids in strengthening the core muscles
· Pressure applied by the legs assists in turning and balancing; this isometric hold tones and burns calories
· Kayaking helps to improve aerobic fitness, strength, and flexibility
· Kayaking is an activity that reduces wear-and-tear on joints since paddling is low-impact
Paddling just 5 miles per hour can burn up to 400 calories in an hour. That’s 1600 calories in a 4-hour span of time! Granted, 5 miles per hour in a kayak is pretty fast, but don’t be fooled, you will still get a great full-body workout while participating in this activity!